Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] XTM Whitespace Handling

* Murray Altheim

| The problem (as documented) is not that they inject any whitespace,
| it's that they alter it at all. I agree that this is a bug, but it's
| not entirely: if there is no DTD, applications are free to do what
| they want.

Certainly, but that freedom must be used with caution, and I do not
think they have exercised due caution in this case. So while it is not
a bug in the sense of non-conformance, I do think it is a bug in the
sense of heuristics likely to often lead to undesirable behaviour in
an area not covered by any spec.

| Agreed. The question was somewhat rhetorical.

Right. I should have known. :)

| This would certainly be helpful to implementors, who at this point
| should be our top priority. We need implementations.

Agreed. And so I think the processing model should now be our main
focus, and especially making it complete and comprehensible to
implementors. Hence my proposal.

* Lars Marius Garshol

| [1] If it does so on elements that have xml:space=default it may be
|     OK, but not, I think, if xml:space is not set. It is generally
|     _not_ safe to assume that anything that does not have
|     xml:space=preserve is fair game.

* Murray Altheim

| Remember that xml:space is only a hint to applications, not the
| parser.  But given that a number of applications (the apache
| serializer, for one) actually do follow its directive, I'm
| suggesting we add this to the DTD.  It's not a
| backwards-compatibility problem, and should have no effect on
| current implementations other than that those built on commonly-
| available XML tools will behave more correctly.

Like I said, I really have no opinion on that, but I do think the
Apache serializer should be fixed. This will bite others using other
DTDs as well, and requiring people to a) use DTDs and b) stuff them
full of xml:space attributes is not the way to go.

--Lars M.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/n4HqaC/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/2n6YlB/TM