Subject: PM and CM (Re: [xtm-wg] Simplified requirements)

Sam Hunting wrote:
> Here is a list of requirements for the PM that I believe meets Lars
> desires, and is also readable by all XTMers (implementors, designers,
> users)
>
> 1.  The PM shall be formal and concise.
> 2.  The PM should be prepared quickly.
> 3.  The PM shall support a wide variety of applications.
> 4.  The implementor shall find it easy to write programs that
>     conform to the PM.
> 5.  The number of optional features in the PM should be kept
>     to the absolute minimum, ideally zero.
> 6.  PM documentation should be clear.
> 7.  The design of the PM shall consider interoperabilty of XTM
> documents
>     of paramount importance.

I would definitely add the following
to the requirements:

8. A clear Mapping of PM to the Conceptual Model should be provided.

CM does for humans what PM is supposed to do for machines.
If they do not map, we are in trouble.

Nikita

Nikita Ogievetsky               Cogitech Inc
XML/XSLT/XLink/TopicMaps   Consultant
nogievet@cogx.com   --   (917) 406-8734
http://www.cogx.com     Cogito Ergo XML

Do you have 128-bit SSL encryption server security?
Get VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your
Web Site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/EVNB7A/c.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM