Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Simplified requirements

[murray]
> The big problem I have is similar to Lars
> Marius' complaint: where does one store <resourceData>?

Surely the "where" is "up to the application"? I must not be
understanding your question precisely.

We need to be careful about assuming typed properties as a given,
because that is most convenient for an OO program or an OO database.
Maybe some programs don't want the overhead of making every node an
object.

> how does one keep track of the complex structure without losing it in

> a graph?

I don't see why "losing" anything is necessary. Network administrators,
for example, use graphs to FIND things, exactly because graphs are
isomorphic (the same shape as) their networks. Again, I must not be
understanding your question precisely.

S.

> how does one decompose back to XTM?

> I can think of others. But I too while hope to see a formal
> processing
> model, have had at least as much difficulty as anyone understanding
> how to implement it. I'm no genius programmer, but then there aren't
> that many of them. The published PM needs to be accessible to people
> like me (here I am acting as guinea pig again). I'm not saying that
> you're barking up the wrong tree, but I like others need to be first
> able to comprehend and then convinced that it works and is not an
> enormously more difficult task than what we've already done. And if
> it's impossible to implement a topic map engine without a very
> specific
> graph structure that few can understand, then we've all participating
> in generating business for a few individuals and nothing more. I
> refuse to believe that.
>
> I'm all for "simplified requirements" and "simplified models."
>
> Murray

> Murray Altheim
> <mailto:altheim@eng.sun.com>
> XML Technology Center
> Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA
> 94025
>
>       In the evening
>       The rice leaves in the garden
>       Rustle in the autumn wind
>       That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu

=====
<!-- "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."
     - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations -->

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Do you have 128-bit SSL encryption server security?
Get VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your
Web Site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2cW4jC/c.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM