Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Re: The Future of TopicMaps.Org

scott.tsao@boeing.com wrote:

> --- In xtm-wg@y..., Murray Altheim <altheim@e...> wrote:
> > I don't know how anyone could
> > define a set of deliverables very well given the rather ambiguous
> or
> > nonexistent requirements. All I've seen so far are vague notions of
> > metadata and ontologies, technologies that already exist.
>
> Good point!  So, the first deliverable might be the requirements
> document for the "semantic web".  Is there one existing? (other than
> Tim B-L's recent article)

I've not heard of any architecture for the Semantic Web (houf, I wish
we first could come up with a better name that wasn't so potentially
misleading). Computers will never "know" what I "mean." They will
represent knowledge and act upon algorithms designed to process that
representation. I almost used the word "understand," but even our
typical use of language is so overloaded...

Well, I just sent a message on this subject. I'd say we do a survey of
existing designs, perhaps starting with Doug Englebart's Online
Hyperdocument System (OHS):

   http://www.bootstrap.org/

This has some real beginnings. I'm going to be working in early June
with Sean Palmer on a W3C Note mixing XHTML and Dublin Core. This would
be one part of a greater whole. I think both XTM and RDF serve very
useful roles. [We're amassing our toys.]

Murray

Murray Altheim                            <mailto:altheim&#x40;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu