Subject: [xtm-wg] Re: The Future of TopicMaps.Org

--- In xtm-wg@y..., Murray Altheim <altheim@e...> wrote:
> I'm going to be working in early June
> with Sean Palmer on a W3C Note mixing XHTML and Dublin Core. This
would
> be one part of a greater whole. I think both XTM and RDF serve very
> useful roles. [We're amassing our toys.]

Based on a recent interview on Tim B-L's view of the W3C Semantic Web
Activity (http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/03/21/timbl.html):

ED: I'd like to ask about the Advanced Development side of the new
Activity, which aims to involve non-W3C members in the development of
the Semantic Web. Isn't this openness unusual?

TBL: We always design the Activity to suit the needs of the community
at the time. Examples of infrastructural work in which we did this
are the HTTP, URI, and XML Signature work. We wanted the attention of
the community experts, and things required wide review. More of our
Activities and working groups are moving toward a more public model;
XML Protocol is a perfect example.

SW needs to be really open, as many resources for its growth are from
the academic world. We need people who may at some point want to give
the group the benefit of their experience, without having a permanent
relationship with the consortium.

It's not particularly novel. It's combining the RDF Interest Group
with W3C internal development stuff. We need to find what the
Knowledge Representation community have got that's ripe for
standardization, and what it hasn't and so on. Coordination will be
very important.

I would suggest that activities like yours (amassing the SW toys) be
conducted as part of the W3C Semantic Web Advanced Development
(http://www.w3.org/2000/01/sw/).  Although I was very surprised (and
disappointed) by not seeing any mention of TM on that page, TBL's
response as shown above gave me hope.

Scott Tsao
The Boeing Company