Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] An Approach to the Semantic Web

>tools available for queries.  For XTM, the benefit may come from the
>easiness for semantic discovery and enrichment (e.g., discovering
>topics and adding associations).

I'm not yet very familiar with topic maps, are you saying that there are
tools already available for XTM for discovering topics and adding
associations?

And, as we expand on the scenarios,
>we could probably find areas that neither RDF nor XTM fit the bill.
>Then perhaps we would resort to some other technologies (e.g.,
>DAML+OIL) to get to where we want to be.

DAML+OIL is now in RDF ???

>What I am proposing here is to look at those "SW technologies"
>through a different lens, not from the technologist's perspective,
>but from the end-user's perspective.  I think the myriad SW-related
>articles flooding our screens today are mostly from the former, but
>very few from the latter.  I would encourage people continue to write
>SW-related articles, but preferably following this outline:
>1. What is the business problem?
>2. What is the proposed business solution? (senarios and use cases)
>3. What are the potential technical approaches?
>4. Which technical solution works best and why?
>5. How can the proposed technical solution be developed and
>implemented?
>6. What are the available standards and tools (if any)?
>
>Any thoughts?

Not long ago I posted a similar list on rdf-interest (prompted by a comment
by Murray Altheim on this list, ber-doiyiing) FYI :

1. What are the problems (clearly defined in black & white) that the SW
system will solve?

2. What are the (clearly identified) goals? (particularly those that have
already been reached or are likely to be reached in the near future)

3. What new (clearly defined) opportunities will be enabled by the SW?

and what about a progress report :

4. Approximately how many web sites are incorporating metadata in a
'Semantic Web' fashion? (by which I mean something a little more than HTML
meta tags - maybe if the figure was quoted for the use of RDF?)

5. How many agents are active in a 'Semantic Web' fashion? (again, something
a little more than a traditional search engine or a non-reasoning feed)

6. How many end users are currently benefitting from the SW?

7. How many will be in a year's time? (5 years?)

8. When will the SW appear in an edition of 'The Road Ahead' as 'what I
planned all along'?

The response I got was largely along the lines of "we won't know until we
get there" together with a bit of "one small step at a time" and some "we
need to make sure the architecture's right for this to work". Interestingly
no-one saw fit to answer any of the questions directly.

---
Danny Ayers
http://www.isacat.net