Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] An Approach to the Semantic Web

>:-) Yes, for technical people these questions have a PHB (pointy
>haired boss) pitch:
>
>   http://www.dilbertzone.com/comics/dilbert/about/html/boss.html
>
>There was a cartoon - long ago - where the PHB asked Dilbert, the
>engineer, to compile 'a list of unforseeable events'.

Very much a PHB pitch - I forget, has there been a rather vague, long-haired
dude in Dilbert? That is the PHB's target in this case.

>Anyway, I do not think that it is hard to come up with a set of
>application scenarios, even business models for TopicMaps/RDF/...

That's good ;-)

>But I assume most of us here are thinking not of "a product which
>is supposed to be sold 10000 times to solve the problem P of
>customer C". It is about creating a __market infrastructure __ which
>clearly extends the current text based web.

Infrastructure, certainly ('the semantic web *is* the killer app'),
interesting that you use the word 'market' - there seems to be a dichotomy
between views of the semantic web as a tool for people and as a tool for
business. I suppose this is a continuation of the academia vs. capitalism
web history.

>If you consider the SW not only being about semantic encoding
>(topic maps, RDF, ...) and retrieval but also about processing
>(Mirkosoft's .NET, Sun's JXTA, ...) then a 'semantic markup' is more
>than to make search engines happy.

I'll certainly agree there - but the agents are presently rather thin on the
ground...

>> Interestingly no-one saw fit to answer any of the questions directly.
>
>Probably these were the guys who drive the Ferraris in two years ;-)

;-)