Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] An Approach to the Semantic Web

Danny Ayers wrote:
> >If you consider the SW not only being about semantic encoding
> >(topic maps, RDF, ...) and retrieval but also about processing
> >(Mirkosoft's .NET, Sun's JXTA, ...) then a 'semantic markup' is more
> >than to make search engines happy.
>
> I'll certainly agree there - but the agents are presently rather thin on the
> ground...

Well, no ground, no agents. But, it is amazing to learn how many
'robots' or
'agents' are already scanning the web for structured information to be
use for ""private"" purposes.

I'm quite sceptical regarding agents in general as they heavily
depend on quality data (content AND structure). And this is a long way
to go. I've written a bunch of robots on various occasions and cleaning
the data was a major concern (Thanks Larry Wall, there is Perl).

I guess, we will see dedicated applications (where all involved
parties cooperate) much sooner. It is easier to define business models
there, as - whatever the state of (E|M)-Commerce might be - it is not
obvious how to reach into an individual consumer's purse.

\rho