Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] An Approach to the Semantic Web

>> I'll certainly agree there - but the agents are presently rather
>thin on the
>> ground...
>
>Well, no ground, no agents. But, it is amazing to learn how many
>'robots' or
>'agents' are already scanning the web for structured information to be
>use for ""private"" purposes.

Are you referring to any particular listing (or something)?

>I'm quite sceptical regarding agents in general as they heavily
>depend on quality data (content AND structure). And this is a long way
>to go. I've written a bunch of robots on various occasions and cleaning
>the data was a major concern (Thanks Larry Wall, there is Perl).

I'm skeptical how far you can go with agents when you stick to 1st order
logic as seems to be the case in most current efforts - the idea that
somehow the quality of data will improve significantly seems rather
optimistic. Fuzzy data calls for fuzzy logic (in one form or other).

>I guess, we will see dedicated applications (where all involved
>parties cooperate) much sooner. It is easier to define business models
>there, as - whatever the state of (E|M)-Commerce might be - it is not
>obvious how to reach into an individual consumer's purse.

<musing>
The demands for (financial) precision from commerce may act as a dampener
for the fuzzy approach - though I suppose there's enough
diversity...</musing>