Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] TopicMaps.Org & OASIS

At 16:26 30.05.2001 -0500, Eric Freese wrote:
>Based on this, we recommend that TopicMaps.org become a member section of
>OASIS.  This seems to be a natural fit.
>We would like to have a public discussion about the feelings of the ENTIRE
>community about this move, not just the voting members.  In this spirit,
>please address any questions or concerns to the entire list.

I would like to add my voice to Eric's and support this move to
OASIS. It is far more than just "the only alternative" -- it is the
perfect fit, as far as I can see. OASIS will help us build the
topic map community, market the concepts, ensure conformance, and
provide a forum for vertical market applications. It will be an
ideal complement to the core standards development work that will
continue inside ISO (under the guidance of the editors, Steve,
Michel, and Martin) with the data model, processing models, TMQL,
and Topic Map Constraint Language.

I'm very interested in hearing from the "lurkers": Who among you
are already members of OASIS and would be prepared to support the
establishment of a member section? Which of you that are not
members of OASIS would seriously consider joining if it were to
provide a forum for topic maps?

Please stand up and be counted. OASIS needs to know the level of
interest if they are to accept us as a member section.

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)