Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] TopicMaps.Org & OASIS

Steve Pepper wrote:

> At 16:26 30.05.2001 -0500, Eric Freese wrote:
> >Based on this, we recommend that TopicMaps.org become a member section of
> >OASIS.  This seems to be a natural fit.
> >We would like to have a public discussion about the feelings of the ENTIRE
> >community about this move, not just the voting members.  In this spirit,
> >please address any questions or concerns to the entire list.
>
> I would like to add my voice to Eric's and support this move to
> OASIS. It is far more than just "the only alternative" -- it is the
> perfect fit, as far as I can see. OASIS will help us build the
> topic map community, market the concepts, ensure conformance, and
> provide a forum for vertical market applications. It will be an
> ideal complement to the core standards development work that will
> continue inside ISO (under the guidance of the editors, Steve,
> Michel, and Martin) with the data model, processing models, TMQL,
> and Topic Map Constraint Language.
>
> I'm very interested in hearing from the "lurkers": Who among you
> are already members of OASIS and would be prepared to support the
> establishment of a member section? Which of you that are not
> members of OASIS would seriously consider joining if it were to
> provide a forum for topic maps?
>
> Please stand up and be counted. OASIS needs to know the level of
> interest if they are to accept us as a member section.

I will certainly join any OASIS Topic Map TC, and continue to promote
the re-formation and success of this activity.

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML/XML Grease Monkey     <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

         america was once a paradise
         of timberland and stream
         but it is dying because of the greed
         and money lust of a thousand little kings -- archy (1927)