Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] core.xtm

At 19:13 04.06.2001 +0200, Michel Biezunski wrote:
>I am strongly supporting Lars' statement that ISO should be
>the only place where a topic map standard is developed, while
>leaving all the application space to other initiatives such as the
>ones which are proposed to go to OASIS.

This is the intention of the chair and editors of XTM as well:

That all further core standard development (covering the data model,
the processing models, TMQL, and the constraint language) should
take place in ISO. And that TopicMaps.Org, as a member section of
OASIS, should focus on building the community and developing
vertical applications, etc.

I think we are all agreed on this. We also seem to be agreed on
the desirability of transfering the DTD to ISO.

I want to point out that TopicMaps.Org will get a completely new
charter (based on that of OASIS), and hopefully a lot of new and
active members; that it will, in fact, become a new organization in
every respect except for its name, which we plan to remain the
same (for marketing reasons).

It is our hope that this will once more make the organization an
attractive forum for *everyone* who is interested in promoting the
topic map paradigm.

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)