Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] User API - A new endeavour for topicmaps.org?

[Graham Moore]

> I think the API should be related to the model/ wait until thats done,
> otherwise it is ambiguous as to what you are manipulating.

I think that some useful work could be done before that happens.  And
questions arising from considering API issues could possibly affect the
model.  Of course, I don't mean that the model should reflect implementation
and design directly.

Also, I'd like to see the API be as model-free as possible.  Naturally it
has to be based on a definite model, yet there are many things that won't
depend much on the details of the model.

For example, users will need to see a list of basename strings (so they can
make a selection).  That's independent of the details of the model beyond
the bare fact that there are such things as names attached to topics.
Another example is whether a request to return a topic should return an
object identifier or the topic's id.  Should a request for a topic ask for
it by id or by object identifier, or should there be methods for both?

There are many issues like these that can be worked out before the detailed
model is done.  It would be worth getting started now, I think.

Regards,

Tom P