Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] User API - A new endeavour for topicmaps.org?

* Graham Moore

| There are three things (at least)
|
| 1. a model which *IS* the topicmap.
| 2. an api which allows a developer to manipulate a every part of
| that model.

Yup. This is what I felt had to be in such an API, but which Tom
thought could be left for later.

| 3. a layer above the API that wraps up common user operations. (like
| create a named association etc).

This is the thing Tom wanted, yes.

| When developing k42 we found that these power interfaces are really
| useful.  Hence com.empolis.topicmaps.helper.Builder is shipped with
| k42 to provide exactly that level that Thomas is talking about.

Yup, any serious topic map engine will have to offer a lot of stuff in
this vein. Our engine has it in the form of two packages with filters,
selectors, and indexes, as well as some other stuff like association
walkers and so on.

But as I said earlier there is a real overlap with TMQL here, and it's
impossible to specify how these high-level things work without making
assumptions about what the model looks like. You can say what
operations you do want, however.

--Lars M.