Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] ISO 11179 attributes for XTM?

Well, ISO itself doesn't do RAs, it just provides the framework in standards
like 10036, 9070, and 11179, then someone else like OCLC or OASIS runs the
registry. (ISO doesn't expect to go out of business, but it simply doesn't
have the infrastructure to run RAs.) So I'd expect either a new standard or
an amendment to 13250 to set things in motion.

The reason I point to things like OCLC or maybe OASIS is that they have a
fair likelihood for being around 10 years from now to maintain the registry.
If the successor to TopicMaps.org is a part of OASIS, then that might do. I
agree that the community needs to support whatever place we wind up with.
But TopicMaps.org as it was a year ago would have been a poor choice because
(1) we now know what happened to it and (2) it didn't even own its own
domain name. If we'd put "TopicMaps.org" into a URL, we'd have run into a
real potential for the dead URL problem. If we get to the point of having
"topicmaps.oasis-open.org", there's more probability that the URL will work
next year.

Jim