Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Fixing language.xtm and country.xtm

> * Lars Marius Garshol
> |
> | I am very glad to hear that there are others in the community who
> | are willing to do real work right now. If enough people are this
> | proposal should have a good chance of going through.
>
> * Sam Hunting
> |
> | I cannot resist applauding your rhetorical strategy of begging the
> | question -- classifying work that requires consensus within a
> | standards body or some other organization as somehow not "real" is
> | a beautiful smooth move!
>
> Yeah, so smooth that even I couldn't detect it. Would you mind
> explaining what you are talking about?

You used the word "rhetoric" in one of your earlier postings, so I
assumed you were familiar with the tools of that trade.

To "beg the question" is make a statement that assumes what is to be
proved. It is a standard rhetorical tactic in argumentation. (I make no
moral judgment about rhetoric, the art of persuasion -- all humans use
it. It is also, though thousands of years old, very close to document
analysis. The very notion of "topic" comes from rhetoric.)

So this is how I read your statement above -- by claiming that you want
to go ahead with "real work", you make the implicit claim that Murray
(and Nikita, and myself) do *not* want to go ahead with "real work." In
fact, what makes work "real" is what is open to question!

Murray (and I, and I think Nikita) feel that some institutional
questions to be settled in Montreal (we hope) before "real work" can
proceed. You don't seem to agree. Well and good -- you will proceed,
post your material as your own (I assume), and others will make use of
it as they see fit (as Patrick suggests).

So, you see that I have been listening closely to what you say. Always
a good tactic if one wishes to be listened to, eh?

S.

P.S. Incidentally, for an example of "work" whether real or not --
done, as Lars is about to do, absent authority other than moral -- see
Steve and Michel's recent postings on an XML version of the Topic Map
Graph.

=====
<!--
     "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."
     - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations -->