Subject: [xtm-wg] Correct use of published subjects

At 13:33 28.06.2001 -0700, Murray Altheim wrote:
>And it's under this perspective that you want me to rush to publish the
>topic maps I've been working on? Forget it. It's obviously a waste of
>my time to seek your agreement. Can anyone possibly live up to your
>expectations?

Boy, oh boy! I just can't believe it is possible to miscommunicate
so thoroughly. Is it the Atlantic or what?

Let's please forget the fighting and try to stick to the technical
issues.

- Are we all agreed that PSIs are enormously important to the
  future of topic maps? I think so.

- Are we all agreed on the importance of the PSIs published at
  TopicMaps.Org "getting it right"? I think so.

- Are we all agreed that there are deficiencies in the PSIs
  as published? I think so.

- Are we all agreed that the task of fixing them should fall
  to the new TopicMaps.Org member section of OASIS? I think so,
  too (always provided it gets off the ground, of course).

So far, so good.

Now, the reason Lars Marius felt such a keen urgency to start this
whole discussion was that he discovered that PSIs were being used
in totally incompatible ways...

...by two people, both of them so-called topic map "experts",
sitting in the same room!

(Lars Marius was using "http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/#en" while
I was using "http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/language.xtm#en" and
our topic maps were not merging correctly!)

One of us was clearly wrong. Or else both of us were. Or else we
were both partly right and partly wrong.

So, given the importance of PSIs and the fact that people are at
this very moment creating real topic maps that use them:

- Is it not possible to start a discussion of some of the issues
  in this forum?

Lars Marius raised a number of issues. I'm amazed that nobody has
had a single substantive word to say about any of them. (Is this
really the technical forum of the XTM working group?)

Murray says that some of them are fixed already. Alas, we do not
know which, or what the fixes were. Please, Murray, show us your
latest version, so we don't waste time on non-issues. (You don't
need to "publish" them; just make them available to the WG.)

Once the non-issues are cleared away, let's have a reasoned,
technical discussion about whatever is left, and try to keep
personal feelings out of it.

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)