Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Correct use of published subjects

Steve Pepper wrote:
[...]
> Boy, oh boy! I just can't believe it is possible to miscommunicate
> so thoroughly. Is it the Atlantic or what?

I don't think that this has anything to do with physical distance.

> Lars Marius raised a number of issues. I'm amazed that nobody has
> had a single substantive word to say about any of them. (Is this
> really the technical forum of the XTM working group?)

Well, I'm not amazed that amongst all the verbiage you missed the
substantive words that I did provide. On the subject of xml:base, in
response to Lars Marius, I wrote on Wed, 27 Jun 2001 at 02:02:05 -0700:
> For example, your understanding of xml:base is incorrect [1]. Some of
> your comments reflect a misunderstanding of the difference between
> a language and a language code (which is a profound difference). [...]

The thread has wandered quite afield from its subject. Since the two
topic maps in question are my creation, and since the principal subject
at hand is my willingness or unwillingness to release them prior to
having a process to release them into, I can only take your request as
yet another criticism of my unwillingness to go into detailed discussion
of the contents of the changes. Either that or you've not bothered to
read the point I've made in almost every single message, and reiterated
by several others. The discussion that needs occur should be part of the
process of working through these issues that I am saving for a "reasoned,
technical discussion" that I expect to happen under a recognized process.
The more I go along in this forum without that, the more I realize that
absent a process there's little hope that any such activity would be
productive here. This past week has not been productive. Why should I
believe a "technical" discussion would be moreso? I don't see "technical"

> Murray says that some of them are fixed already. Alas, we do not
> know which, or what the fixes were. Please, Murray, show us your
> latest version, so we don't waste time on non-issues. (You don't
> need to "publish" them; just make them available to the WG.)

I'm sorry, but I'm really tired of being bullied to release my
work. Now I have two Ontopia employees demanding that I perform
this stunt. I don't see that your request is any different than
[...]

Steve Pepper wrote:
> Once the non-issues are cleared away, let's have a reasoned,
> technical discussion about whatever is left, and try to keep
> personal feelings out of it.

I feel that in order to have a reasoned, technical discussion, one
must have either a legal system or some sense of understanding or
community between the participants, ie., a formal or informal process.
I have been a part of a theoretically formal process in this group
that failed, and which I would not under any circumstances want to
repeat. I am sure you remember. I don't see how functioning under no
process at all in the current environment (personal, political,
whatever) could be simply "technical." The OASIS process rules will
hopefully provide what we need to have the "reasoned, technical
discussion" you both want so badly. It is unlikely to occur here
right now amongst the three of us.

As I mentioned previously, the set of PSIs established by the existing
language.xtm and country.xtm work completely well as PSIs, even if there
are perceived errors in the topic map itself. There is no emergency here;
we can wait six weeks. The xml:base problem you cite is simply a matter
of Lars Marius misunderstanding the xml:base specification, which BTW
went to Recommendation (along with [XLink]; we need to update our
references in the XTM spec) at the W3C today. Read the xml:base spec,
it's pretty clear that you are correct, not he. If I remember correctly,
I confirmed our usage of xml:base with Eve Maler prior to incorporating
it into the XTM DTD and the two topic maps.

I prefer to have the remaining issues dealt with properly by the group,
not by expecting the current climate on this issue to suddenly change
to a "reasoned, technical" one.

Murray

> [1]  Go look at the xml:base specification again before telling everyone
>  things are wrong. The example following Section 3 is quite clear:
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlbase/#syntax
(and now: http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlbase-20010627/#syntax )
[XLink] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xlink-20010627/
Murray Altheim                            <mailto:altheim&#x40;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu