Subject: RE: Registration Autorities and PSIs (was: RE: [xtm-wg] Fixing la ngua ge.xtm and country.xtm)

I'd love to move this thread a bit away from the point of view of the TM
providers and standardizers, towards the point of view of publishers.

In case you are looking for ways to implement permanently accessible PSIs, I
suggest that you investigate DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and the Handle
System further.

Martin Bryan, Murray Altheim, and maybe everybody else are aware of DOI and
will probably learn nothing new from this message. The following is a bit of
evangelism for the rest of you.

DOI builds on the Handle System, http://www.handle.net/, which is an
infrastructure for secure name resolution over the Internet. Handles are a
form of URNs, and the Handle System specifies a set of protocols for a
distributed system that scales well.

DOI is increasingly being used to identify published work with 'actionable'
identifiers, see e.g.

  http://www.publishers.org/home/numbering.pdf
  http://www.crossref.org/

The International DOI Foundation and the DOI community is currently putting
a lot of effort into ways of associating DOIs with metadata and the metadata
schemas to be used, see

  http://www.doi.org/namespace/010123-DOI-NS-paper.pdf
  http://www.doi.org/handbook_2000/appendix_3.html
  http://www.doi.org/news/0105-multires.html

While there's an increasing awareness of the need to facilitate knowledge
discovery (hence metadata) and the need for ensuring long-term
interoperability (hence metadata registry etc.), the focus really is on IP
(intellectual property) and on developing the technical infrastructure for
doing business. This focus on IP might bring something beneficial to the
topic map community.

I think the issue of intellectual property wrt. ontologies (e.g.,
represented as topic maps accessed on the Internet) will become crucial very
soon. Which also implies the need for liaison with metadata schemes in
publishing, news, and recording industry. The news industry is already a
heavy user of ontologies; if not the news industry could use topic maps,
something should be done about it. On a technical level, there are
initiatives such as NewsML incorporating topic maps, see
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xtm-wg/message/539.

But how do we go about honouring IP wrt. ontologies on the Internet? What
business models do you propose? How is a medical or legal publisher going to
make money from publishing an ontology as an online topic map?

Kind regards
Peter Ring