Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] re topic.scope

Nikita, Piotr,

I agree that scope is a mighty yet heavily overloaded concept. And like all
sophisticated 'tools' it can either be of great use when it is used in a
careful and consistent manner, but hazardous and confusing when used without
any special care and methodology. Like many other aspects, I propose, the
correct use of scope is part of a well planned topic map design process. A
TM design will absolutely be based on strict type hierarchies and schemata.
In such a scenario scope can also be represented, as Piotr said, by the
superclass hiearchy of a topic. If you understand context as the environment
or domain that sorrounds or includes the 'topic of interest' (which is a
common definition in literature), context can even be interpreted as the sum
of all associations and associated topics, i.e. the complete topic map from
the point of view of the topic of interest.

This may sound rather academic, but it illustrates my point: there are many
ways to 'model' or represent context, and scope is just one means which is
explicitly declared in the topic map language. So I think scope should be
used as a syntactic shorthand (note that the <scope> element is again just a
shorthand for a topic association expressing scope, where one member plays
the role of being scoped and the other playing the role of representing the
scope) in cases where the more elaborate modelling of context by other means
is either too tedious or may be beyond the intended 'expressiveness' of the
topic map. In this way it might well serve as a mechanism to 'tag' topics
for interpretation by application systems for expressing specific user
contexts (access level, user profile etc.) Or also for a quick way for
expressing context without a complete redesign of the topic map design.

In other words: I guess the current very interesting discussion around the
meaning and use of scope will become clearer once topic maps have been
understood by the community to require a similar design approch like for
instance OO modelling.

concerning the ideological debate about whether a topic itself can have
scope - or only topic characteristics should be scopable: I support the 2nd
opinion. I have to admit I havent yet understood what you can gain from
allowing scope to be attached to the topic itself. Maybe someone could
explain this to me. On the other hand I am afraid changing the XTM spec in
this respect might cause a lot of work as it will also affect the topic map
merging rules.

Heiko

Dr. Heiko Beier        -  CEO               - moresophy GmbH
Brienner Str. 54b      -  80333 Munich
Tel: +49-89-523041-71  -  Fax: +49-89-523041-89
         moresophy -> more sophy -> think meta

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think! http://promo2.yahoo.com/sbin/Yahoo!_BusinessNewsletter/survey.cgi
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/2U_rlB/TM