Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] New language.xtm and country.xtm proposals

Holger wrote:

> Hi Lars Marius,
>
> Thanks for this valuable work. I hope we could approve both
> in Montréal.
>
> But I have a comment (in fact dealing with a simlar issue).
>
> You wrote:
> > ... snip ...
> >
> > - the topic for language-code has been replaced by a topic for
> >    language, so that there now exists a well-defined PSI for language
> >
> > ... snip ...
> >
> >  - the topic for country-code has been replaced by a topic for
> >    country, so that there now exists a well-defined PSI for country
>
> We discussed this in length in Austin and the group drew to the conclusion
> that we cannot define what the language and what the country subjects are.
> Furthermore, the subjects defined in language.xtm and country.xtm
> are no languages
> and no contries; the subjects are the codes ISO defined for some languages
> and countries. That is why we had the topics language-code and
> country-code
> and my feeling is that they are correct (from a philosophical
> point of view).

I wasn't present at the Austin meeting, but in looking at these proposed
topic maps, I would be of the opinion that the topics are surrogates for
countries and languages. It is the names that *are* the two and three letter
code (as well as the English and French names), but the topics are suitable
surrogates for countries and languages, and those codes are *used as*
subject indicators, but IMHO the subject being indicated is the
country/language in question.

Cheers,

Kal

> Sorry, to tell you that at this late point in time, but I thought
> SteveP would remind you.
>
> Cheers,
> --Holger
>
> --