Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Re: Inquiry Into Inquiry

John Sowa states the precepts of strong AI very well.

My questions, to him and to the participants, are questions of relevance and adequacy.

First question.  Is the separation of information into just two specific (non-overlapping) categories, declarative and procedural, adequate to the development of a computational paradigm that supports every day human individual knowledge management?

I think that the answer is no.

My answer does not reflect JUST one person's opinion, but is something that can be grounded in empirical evidence and structured reasoning (human reasoning).  But this discussion is **not allowed** (read **not-funded**) simply by the dominance of the strong AI academic and scholarly disciplines.  This dominance is not based on results, I hold; but rather in denial of a clear and obvious truth.

I also hold that the results of AI do not accrue to the understanding of how to build knowledge technologies for non-computer scientists. AI has become not relevant because it is not adequate to the biological and social processes involved in knowledge sharing.  Computers for data storage and communication is of value.  This is not the claim.  The claim is that AI is a false paradigm that has long ago lost it's legitimacy.

John Sowa's note is read in my mind as " well yes there is no empirical grounding of AI in any real science.  We in the AI community have long ago decided that the empirical biological science means nothing to us."

Is this really the position that is taken - or am I mistaken?

The **Value Proposition** is that a real knowledge technology is possible, but only after the strong AI paradigm is buried and a wooden stack put through it's heart.

A second **Value Proposition** exists for AI.  This value proosition is  IF AI is properly understood as part of the Science of the Artificial (see Herbert Simon's book), then its value to society will be enhanced.  So in computer security systems AI should have a high vlaue, higher than is recognized today.

AI science is defined by the AI scholars as being a inquiry into " What are the logical foundations of learning and reasoning."  This definition highlights the issue exactly.

Second Question.  Where does the AI community obtain the right to ground its use of the terms "learning" and "reasoning" .  There is the terminology use AS IF one is to imagine that this is of the nature of human learning processes and human reasoning processes?    The meaning of the term "learn" is altered.

It is in a scientific literature that has been walked away from by the scholars of that discipline (cognitive neuroscience) and in a logic literature that the logicians should have walked away from since the time of Godel and Church.  The grounding is in the history of Western philosophy, and this history has long ago become mostly a mental exercise in determining how many Angels dance on the head of a pin.

We MUST move beyond.  The old foundation is gone.  A new foundation is possible.  (Why not?)

Will you help us?