Subject: [xtm-wg] ANNOUNCE: XML Conceptual Graphs (XCG)

Before leaving for the weekend, I thought I'd post a very preliminary
attempt at an XML interchange syntax for CGs, called XML Conceptual
Graphs (XCG).

During the ICCS conference there were several discussions regarding
the need for an XML markup language for expressing CGs. During one
lunchtime talk (that included Steve and Michel) we considered the idea
of using such a markup language as a rule or template language for XTM,
and this struck me as something I'd like to prototype. So here's a
rough draft. I admit to being new to CGs, so this is likely to have a
number of problems and I in no way consider the design stable or complete.

The current spec contains in the sections describing each element type
some content from the original CG spec; these are a temporary placeholders
for more appropriate text, and is there more to jog my memory.

The modification to XTM would be to allow a reference to some part of an
XCG document within a link in <instanceOf> when inside of an <association>
element (i.e., our "topic map template"). We would not have to reinvent
a very well-invented wheel. This also has the advantage of bringing
together two very synergistic technologies, as well as their respective
communities.

Feedback is very welcome.

   XML Conceptual Graphs (XCG) 1.0
   Sun Microsystems Technical Report.
   Murray Altheim, 9 August 2001.
   http://www.doctypes.org/xcg/

Murray

[I've posted this to the CG list as well, and wish to avoid cross-postings.]
Murray Altheim, SGML/XML Grease Monkey  <mailto:murray.altheim&#64;sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

     i am going to see if i cannot reform insects in general
     i have constituted myself a missionary extraordinary
     and minister plenipotentiary and entomological to bring
     idealism to the little struggling brothers -- archy (1927)

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/2U_rlB/TM