Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] uml and topic maps

[Mario Klesse]

> But I didn't find a good way to model scope, basenames and occurrences.
For
> basenames and occurrences one could use attributes, but that's not really
> corresponding to the nature of topic maps.

Peter Coad has become a fan of modeling roles (in the business sense, not
necessarily in the topic maps sense per se) as objects in their own right
(with UML).  If you are doing class diagrams, occurrences and so on can be
perfectly good objects themselves.  But it's tricky what they should inherit
from.  My own class model for topic maps has two three abstract classes, one
of them called "scoped object", and topics, associations, names, and
occurrences inherit from various combinations of those three (I allow
multiple inheritance).  It seems to work well.

Cheers,

Tom P