Subject: [topicmaps-comment] subject indicator technology

Hello all

here is my 2 bits and some questions.
Some Lisp systems use a thing called gensysmb, which amounts to g followed
by an integer, as in g3918427 etc. They always start with a g and always are
integer numbers after the g. all gensymb names are unique, which is to say
that no integer is ever used twice.
so what you have is a unique name. in a sense a gensymb type name can be
seen as a name or label for a point. unless the location of such a point in
some reference spatial system is provided the point itself is neutral in
meaning/"has no particular meaning". same with teh gensymb name per se.

problem with it is though that it doesnt convey anything itself, so one then
has to have attributions which point at it or reference it in order to
provide it with a meaning. Now we are back to the problem that Steve has
pointed out, when multiple authors have DIFFERENT attributions pointing at
or referencing the same point or gensymb label/name.

It seems we are all in agreement that there is a need to provide
attribution/description to subjects but there is a need to make them either
enforcibly unique utterly or to provide a context mechanism which we and
programs can use to define/declare a context and thusly sort/ weed out/
delete from purvue /ignore any references/pointers to a given point/gensymb
name not within the meaning/intent of the context be used at a given time.

In the dictionary words have numbered nuances. It seems like a weak method
to me but perhaps something like that can be used as a context to decide
which links/references/pointers to "allow"/"use"/"pay attention to" at a
given usage/reference instance when a point/gensymb name has multiple
attribution/description perhaps because of multiple authoring.

David Dodds