Subject: RE: [topicmaps-comment] Notions have existence .....

To me a vacuum is the absence of matter. Blackness (total darkeness) is the
absence of illumination. Cold is the absence of heat.

To me saying that a vaccuum has a physical existance, as though it is a
physical extent thing is a non-sequiter. It is a nonsequiter to me to say
that blackness is a thing and exists. The notions of vacuum and blackness
are the ABSENCE of something exisiting. It is a metaphorical projection to
say that an absence is some/an existing thing.

"Seeing" a shadow is the mind's way of re-presenting the absence of
illumination/qualia. Feeling coldness is the result of the mind detecting
the absence of heat. Heat ("atomic motion") is (said to be) a real thing.
The absence of motion, zero degrees Kelvin, means that there is absolute
stillness. It is thought that matter would "come apart"/disintegrate under
such conditions.

The distance between two points is a perception, it is a mentalism. In my
purvue it is not a real thing. Distance is not a real thing, it is a
perception conjured by a mental/agency.

Often, in human perception and thought, our ideas have co-extant with them,
linguification. That is, language based mentalisms / perceptions / ""words
and phrases"" . When we look at the blue sky we experience blue but it
wouldnt be unusual to also in some way experience the mental-presence of the
word "blue". No i dont mean you see the word blue in letters in your head
nor do I mean you hear the word blue spoken in your mind's ear. What Im
saying is that often there is an accompanyment of linguification (the
language item blue in this case) which accompanies the sensation or
experience of the qualia-blue as we look at the sky. The blueness is in your
head, it is not in the sky, the word blue is a representation of concept in
your head, it is not a real thing itself. However, this concommitant
occurrence of linguification offen is "felt" / perceived as real, what it
really is is that these linguification events/processes produces a
reification ("making real") of that which they seem/feel to be associated
with. Furthermore, since the mind associates things together which occur
within about 50 to 100 milliseconds of each other the _sense_ of any
linguification {language based generation] providing meaning / reification
of that which occurs in the critical time frame (50ms) [in this case blue
qualia in the mind's "experience"] is given by the [critical and necessary]
temporal proximity.  The sense or feeling of asociation between experiencing
blue qualia and experiencing the linguistic concept "blue" is given by the
window of temporal (effective, conceptual) "simultaneity". Readers
interested in this sort of thing are invited to read the research in
psychological time , especially about "moment". The MACY conferences would
be a good place to start, in this regard. (Google can give some  handles to
material).

David Dodds