Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] Notions have existence .....

Hi Steve

I have no quarrel or diagreement with what you say (below). There is a
difference in what you and I are saying, we are not saying the same thing. I
am not saying you are wrong.

Your text (below) provided me with enough information so that I could infer
a context for a number of things including cricially HOW you USE the word
"notion"  and the word "idea". I learned in philosophy of language at
university that words mean how you use them. One is free to legitimately
say, I define X to mean Y. such as I define big to be greater than 5.
Because there is a definition provided then any reader/consumer of your
words then can reference the definition(s) you have declared and thereby
accurately understand your menaing, which is indicated by virtue of your use
(of words).  The use provideds the context, which in turn can be used to
determine which definition was appealed to to derive the meaning of your
statement.  In ordinary speech there are ciluturaly and domain based TACIT
definitions for words. If one doesnt specifically call to attention that a
nonstandard / nondefualt USE , tat is definition is being employed then the
receiver of the communication can assume that the standard one is being
used.

I use the word "notion" a little differently than you. Your use allows for
reference to the word "notion" as thoughthey are "things" external to a
mind. You seem to be using ideas in a similar way. Now that I understand the
basis of your definition of "notion" and "idea" I can see how you can
reasonably say that notions/ideas can be/exist in documents and otherwise
(be) outside a mind which conceives/perceives them. My use of "notion" is
that it is a mental phenomenon experienced in a mind, and that a
re-presentation of it can be conveyed elsewhere, such as in a document, in
speech over a telephone and via a topic map.
There are 2 important things there: it is a *re-presentation* of the notion
that is conveyed, not the notion itself. The re-presentation is less rich
than the notion itself. I am not splitting hairs here. What Im saying is
that the artifact of the procesing of conveying the notion externally
(external to hte mind) reduces its
quality/completeness/richness/multidimensionality. thats because that is
exactly what conveyance does. All conveyances, such as speaking, or writing
are lossy transformations (of the original notion/idea/concept).
It is a colloquial use (in my book) of the term notion, when one says that
notions are in documents, in conversations, etc. What is really ther ea re
transformations/conveyances/externalizations of the notions/ideas. Example.
If I look into the sky and say I see a blue sky, the blue in the sentence
does not have nor convey the richness of the experince of the visual qualia
that my mind experiences from the sight of the sky. In the colloquial use of
notion, it is legitimate to say that The sky is blue, is a notion, and that
it can be written and spoken. In my book The sky is blue is a linguification
of a notion, not a notion itself.

In the end I dont think it matters whether we look at things as you have
specificed (colloquially) or I have specified (transformationally)
what really matters is that we agree on how to construct topic maps, which
it seems to me can capture both of our conceptual views.

I am interested in the potential problems with identifying the subject of a
topic ina wya that everybody can understand what the CHARACTERIZATION of the
subject is.    If you and I talk about extinct dodo bird eggs and design a
subject indicator "extinct dodo bird eggs", how does someone who speaks only
Swahili or Irdu supposedly to know , oh yea, its a topic about the specifica
subject "extinct dodo bird eggs". I mention a native speaker of Irdu or
Swahili because in a sense that where the standard computer is coming from.
IT DONT SPEAK ENGLISH, and the string "extinct dodo bird eggs" has no more
meaning that does 1234-6789-43-55-49 as a subject indicator for the same
thing. Sure the computer can compare strings and number-symbols and "look
for" ones that are indentical, but is that all we awant to mean by
understanding the subject indicator?!

Another way of me stating my quandry is that I dont see how we topic mappers
are avoiding the infinite regression of homunculi / "understanders" in our
means to specifying/conveying subject indicator.

cheers
David Dodds