Subject: [topicmaps-comment] situated context

I feel that David's recent post are brillant, and are following a line of
thought that I see as both long term and insightful of where the current
XML-type standards are. (copied below)

David said:

PS: Paul Pruett may claim I am wrong about "situated context" being possible
outside of special creation fleshbots (humans) but I believe
I will demonstrate that he is talking through his hat if he attacks me
there. "Situated context" is merely one of the possibilities of *agency*,
and frankly only warm pink fuzzy humanists still believe that agency is
possible only in a human mind. That is so dreadfully anthropocentric as to
be medieval.

***

I think that there is a misunderstanding here.  My back ground is more in
the biological science, physics and foundations of mathematics.  XML books,
even the new XML Meta Data bood - which is excellent - are hard for me to
grasp as a whole.   But the notions regarding a Turing machine and finite
state engines are also of importance in how I and my collegues, at the
Eisntein Institute, are formulating stratified complexity.

The notion of actual physical stratification comes from the study of
physics... thermodynamics and quantum mechanics.  Plank's constant,
Boltzman's constant and other such empirically observable constants suggest
to some of us evidence that there are in fact organizational scales in
physical reality.  Human awareness seems to take in several of these scales
so as to interact with and use quantum mechanical phenomenon (photons
impacting in retina --> perception of the world via the eyes) and metabolic
phenomenon.  David Bohm's theory of "implicate order" is one way that the
scholars have tied together the physical phenomonen and the perceptional
phenomenon. Karl Pribram has been a core figure in the development of new
work in this area.  J. J. Gibson, Robert Shaw, Peter Kugler, Robert Rosen
and others have made essential contribution to this body of thought.

Situated context IS involved in human awareness.  One might define this
concept by looking at the experiemental evidence from the approporate
sciences.  **Then** we might look at the problems in knowledge
representation that most of the membership of the XML community is well
aware of.  The question is then about whether of not there is ever anything
like the **situated context** defined by these science involved in XML
parsing or the retrieval of XML strings from a larger XML string.  What
about XML "addition" .

Does the notion of scope reify the bioligical notion of situated context?

Again, I stress that the route that I have choose to take in defining
**situated context** is by the use of the bioligcal sciences, and quantum
mechanics.  We are trying to meet computer science half way somehow.

(David, I am crosss posting to KMCI and EI, both of which you are members...
perhaps you and I can "inform" these other two forums as to the nature of
the discussion within the leadership community of the XML standards.  Again,
this is moving us towards a face to face meeting (with virtual webcast) in
March 2020 at the KT 2002 conference.)