Subject: RE: [topicmaps-comment] which is the general topic maps discussiongroup?

> From: Jon Jermey & Glenda Browne
> I know that a few months ago the topic maps
> discussion group moved and there
> are now two lists. I get messages from both
> topic maps comment and
> topicmapsmail and I am wondering which of
> these is meant to be the general
> group, and which is more developmental.
>
> Glenda

Glenda,

There are actually several mailing lists on topic maps.

The topicmapmail mailing list is aimed to be the
general
discussion group, and then there are other lists which
are
aimed to reflect the work being performed in various
groups
actively involved in developing topic map related work.
One
of them is topicmaps-comment, which has been created
mainly
to reflect the work of the Oasis group on published
subject,
there are other lists which are devoted to the work
itself and
are restricted to the working group members, plus there
are also
several mailing lists having to do with the development
of the standard work being performed by ISO
(sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org)
and a list on a topic map query language. In general,
archive is available
to everyone, and participation to mailing lists is
subject to approval
by the list administrators and the organizations that
are responsible
for making these lists.

There is some overlap in the scopes of these various
lists therefore it's
good, as long as this situation exists, to subscribe to
more than one if you really want to be informed on all
the aspects being discussed. This might lead to
duplicate
mail since some discussions start on one mailing lists
and get copied on another
interest mailing whenever the authors of the mail feel
that they contain something
interesting for the audience that subscribes to the
others.

I am working on updating this information and publish a
list of the available
mailing lists. Before I am done with this, if you have
urgent questions on these,
send me an email and I'll be glad to provide you a more
detailed answer.

Michel

Michel Biezunski, Coolheads Consulting
1527 Northaven Drive, Allen TX 75002-1648 USA
Tel +1 469 675 1000    Fax +1 972 359 0270
Email: mb@coolheads.com