Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] skills to create topic maps

Jean:

I'm interested in automatic tagging, and I see you mentioned some tools in
your email, can you point me to them?

Thanks,

Hector Urroz

----- Original Message -----
From: "jean delahousse" <jean.delahousse@mondeca.com>
To: <Tony.Coates@reuters.com>; <webindexing@optusnet.com.au>; "Topic Maps"
<topicmaps-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 3:13 PM

Dear Tony and all,

I like harsh talking and I will be happy to have some time to talk with you
at Orlando and drink a beer.

We start to accumulate some experience with professionnal clients on
building topic maps and I like to give you a feed back

1) we use our Topic Maps repository to gather the information, publish it
and navigate on the organised content

2) the repository accept manual inputs of information used espacially to
build and maintain the taxonomy or for experts that gather information
"manually" ("M.Coates works for Reuters", for example)

3) the repository accept XTM file inputs so we were able :

- to take information from data bases (project organisation, financial links
between companies)
- to input existing taxonomies, thesaurus, ontologies
- to input summary, index and links between documents coming from large
legal documentation and to index the content
- to input informations coming from automatic tagging tools ("Reuters
acquired Diagram and now controls 43% of the french market of financial
software" automaticaly transformed in topics, associations and occurences)
and build economic intelligence repository
- to input metadata from RDF DC documents

4) before to populate the Topic Map whith information we have to choose a
set of association templates and types of occurence. We had at the beginning
a lot of back and forth work trying to adjust the templates but we now have
more experience and the corporate vocabulary is finally not that large.

We still have a lot of work to do to get a full set of templates for
corporate fields. For that work we get inspiration from standardisation
works and exiting ontologies

5) concerning taxonomy to organise and classify subjects and documents, we
sometime rely on exiting vocabulary (legal and financial documentation) or
by building a first simple taxonomy and changing it when it is needed.

We start a work of automatisation of the taxonomy creation using a
classification tools from a partner. It will give a first proposition of
taxonomy that the users may modify and complete.

6) Conclusion :
Topic Maps gives enough flexibility to use various organisation methods for
a content (ontology, taxonomie, semantic links between topics,
class/instance relationships, links to organise piece of documents,
reification...) which is quite nice.

Professional content editors have hundreds years of experience on content
organisation for books, memento, encyclopedia, thesaurus so they can tell
the result they want (at least as good as what they had in the paper
publication).

So flexible repository (mondeca's one obviously), TM standards and existing
organised content on the client side make all together the work feasable,
interesting, fun, professional, extremely valuable and gives very good
results and a good ROI for the clients.

Sincerely

Jean Delahousse
CEO