Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] Topic, reifiying an adressable subject as rolein an association

Hi Christian,

* Christian Wohlgensinger

| Can a Topic referenced by a <topicRef> in a <roleSpec> element reify
| an addressable subject?

This is a good question. I agree with you that semantically this seems
to make no sense, but I'm not sure to what extent we want such
constraints to be part of the model itself. This is also why no such
constraints are mentioned in the infoset document.

I've made a note of this issue, and would like to hear other people's
opinions on this issue, and the possible utility of such a constraint.
Personally I'd be happy to not bother about it. We can probably think
of lots of things one could do that make no sense, but how good an
idea it is to require all implementations to detect and reject them is
another matter.

If we do decide that we want such constraints we should go through the
entire model and make explicit decisions about this for each and every
information item type, and justify them.

--Lars M.