Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] TMs & XTM [Was: skills to create topic ma ps]

Hi,

Just a short remark on TM editing/ authoring tools.
empolis k42 (http://k42.empolis.co.uk) comes with a
generic TM editor since January 2001. It was intended
as a demonstrator interface to the editing servlet and
the k42 server API but is very useful to manually create
TMs without caring about the XTM syntax and ids etc. at all.

Next versions of k42 as well as of Ontopia's TM software
will support ontology (schema) based editing. So stay
tuned for the next releases in 2002.

In this sense I wish everybody in the TM community
a merry x-mas and a happy new year.

Regards,
--Holger

Scott Tsao wrote:

> Thomas B. Passin wrote:
> > The main difficulty in hand-authoring topic maps is
> > not syntax [...]
> > The key points are these, in my view:
> >
> > 1) Finding the ID values for previously defined
> > topics, so they can be
> > referenced [...]
>
> This seems to be a feature that could be added to a
> more capable TopicMaps authoring/editing tool.  For
> example, I would expect a good XML authoring/editing
> tool provide the feature of allowing a user to select
> a pre-defined name (of elements or attributes) when
> constructing either an instance or schema (xsd or dtd)
> document.
>
> > 2) Deciding how to model various kinds of
> > information, ie., occurrences vs
> > associations [...]
> >
> > 3) Creating your ontology and being very clear about
> > when something is an
> > instance vs. being a subclass of another topic [...]
>
> These seem to point out a need for (graphical)
> modeling of TopicMaps.  For example, I wonder if using
> Protege along with TMTab plug-in would provide a
> higher-level abstraction of TopicMaps that can be
> reviewed and refined without worrying about the
> syntax.  (ref.
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/topicmaps-comment/200112/msg00034.html)
>
> However, I recall in a past thread there was a
> discussion of the adequacy of using UML to model
> TopicMaps instances, and the conclusion seemed to be
> fairly negative.  So, I wonder if there is a better
> way to model TopicMaps graphically.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

Dr. H. Holger Rath