Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] TAO vs. ERA

[Robert Barta]

> On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 05:29:05PM +0100, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> > Not "specialization of", but "instance of". Specialization is the same
> > as subclassing, which is something else entirely.
>
> This means that
>
>   lars-marius (person) # using instanceOf here
>
> is an appropriate use of instanceOf and
>
>   person (living-being) # also here
>
> is not?

[Lars]
>Exactly.

True, but

lars-marius (living-being) # is also a correct use of instanceOf

Instances are also instances of their more generalized ancestors, right?
Except I'm not sure if that strictly applies to multiple inheritance, and
I'm not sure if the standard class-subclass PSI includes multiple
inheritance.  In fact, there seem to be quite a few fine points about
subclass-hood; some of them get argued about from time to time on rdf-logic.

Cheers,

Tom P