Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] multilingual thesaurus - language,scope ,and topic naming constraint

[Lars Marius Garshol]

> * Thomas B. Passin
> |
> | [4) I extract a relevant fragment of your map]
> | [...] This would be where an xinclude-like ability would come in.
> | It's not necessarily the same as an ordinary query, because it would
> | include as much context as necessary for the recipient to make
> | proper use of the returned information.
>
> Well, how could you do this with XInclude? It seems to me that it
> would be very very difficult to get the necessary information into the
> XInclude element, for one thing, and that having done that you would
> still have achieved nothing more than to create a syntax for
> specifying what it is you want, which is precisely what TMQL is
> supposed to do. The architectural issue is still left unanswered.

I don't think that xinclude is the right tool, but the principle behind
xinclude seems to be to supply the context of an element as well as the
element itself.  If we could identify an analogous "context" for topic map
fragments, it might be possible to embed the requested information in the
context.  I have nothing concrete to offer beyond this thought, though.

I sounds like Mondeca has been working along these lines, as jean delahousse
just reported.  That is very encouraging, and we can hope to achieve
something that is shared and not proprietary.

> | I welcome anything which can show me how this kind of operation will
> | not in fact incur serious difficulties of the kind I sketched out
> | above.
>
> Your analysis of the problem matches my own very closely.

Good to hear.

Cheers,

Tom P