Subject: RE: [topicmaps-comment] topicmaps.org namespace,and ISO 13250 XT M ( Re: referring to a topic from outside a TM )

Bernard has hit on something we need to take care of on both the ISO and
OASIS sides of the house. We need stable sources for texts. The following
addresses the ISO side.

Since the original publication of ISO/IEC 13250, there has been a copy of
the official text at http://www.y12.doe.gov/sgml/sc34/document/0129.pdf
(with the usual caveats that this is done for the benefit of the taxpayers
and is not the master copy available only from ISO, etc.) It's likely to
stay there so long as I'm working here.

The document that was balloted to bring the XTM DTD into 13250 is posted at
http://www.y12.doe.gov/sgml/sc34/document/0220.htm, and the results of that
ballot are at http://www.y12.doe.gov/sgml/sc34/document/0260.htm. The
editors' response the the comments on the ballot are at
http://www.y12.doe.gov/sgml/sc34/document/0270.htm.

What isn't available is a unified text of the revised standard. It's
possible to construct one from the four cited documents, but there isn't
one. Nor have we asked ISO to publish one; it's not a requirement for the
amendment process, and I don't think we should prepare one until some of the
other issues being discussed in SC34/WG3 settle out. N260 does, however,
call for the editors to prepare a complete final text of the amendment. We
need to get that out to a stable place with an official document number on
it, along with the base standard. (BTW, amendments can be placed out in the
open, without the caveats that surround the text of the base standard.)

Jim Mason
James David Mason, Ph.D.

Y-12 National Security Complex
Bldg. 9113, M.S. 8208