Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] topicmaps.org namespace,and ISO 13250 XTM ( Re: referring to a topic from outside a TM )

Steve

I think you somehow missed my point. It has nothing to do with the standardisation process
by itself, which I fully agree with you is in its right place in ISO and follows there a
path that I am very happy with - no frustration with progress, nor impatience about things
not going fast enough - that's not my point at all.

I also agree completely with the respective roles that you point for ISO and OASIS in
topic maps development. I don't think there is any disagreement of anybody for that matter
on either side of the "house", as Jim calls it so well. And I fully agree that we need one
standard in one authoritative place. And that's exactly why my concern is to see that XTM
is so publicly visible and well advertised as part of www.topicmaps.org namespace *which
is no more a standardization place* ... and so difficult to find in ISO publication.

When I ask for updating, please understand that I don't speak about updating the
specification or technical annexes at all. I speak about updating all the non-technical
stuff concerning TopicMaps.Org entity, because it is no more an entity in charge of
anything, and what is published there about this entity is simply obsolete, and may lead
people to think exactly what you and me do not want to see: that the standardization is
still happening there! In fact we should not get rid of it, but make crystal clear that
the pages there are now no more than historical archives, and that the normative documents
are now to be found in ISO namespace (wherever that is).

So, what I would like to see on topicmaps.org home page is a clear message saying that ISO
is now in charge of all TM specification process, that XTM DTD is now part of ISO 13250,
along with a reference to a stable URI where ISO 13250 is published, including HyTM and
XTM in a single place. But there is an issue - What is the authority enabled to make that
decision now?

Bottom line: We have stressed in Orlando PubSubj TC meeting that there is no Published
Subject if the publisher is not defined, declared and authoritative. We have a full-scale
use-case. There are pending PSIs in www.topicmaps.org/xtm namespace. But are they really
Published Subjects? IMO no - because they have no current publisher. They have had one at
a time, when TopicMaps.Org was in charge. But it is no more. This namespace has an owner,
a technical host, a webmaster, an editor ... BTW all four different entities  ... but no
one of those is in position to pretend to be the publisher.

Hope you better understand my concern.

Bernard