Subject: [topicmaps-comment] TouchGraph and formative ontology work

cc: OSI staff and colleagues, eC e-forum, topic maps comments.

eC form, please look at Dr. Shapiro's Java program  - requires a down load -
of the Java virtual engine and a few plug ins.

****

Alex Shapiro,

Please review our work at..

http://www.ontologystream.com/SLIP/index3.htm

My group would like to have a technology discussion on the use of
visualAbstraction as an XML (?) input to your TouchGraph interface.  I am
available to you to discuss OntologyStream Inc software (which is free and
downloadable).  We require no NDAs and only sign these (instruments of good
commerce) under very specific circumstances.  This is pure category theory,
semiotics and neuroscience.

Our request is for collaboration so as to understand this new discovery of
visual abstraction (vA).  vA is my discovery, this is true; but it does
seems as if there is more than that I have seen so far, and certainly more
than I have been able to express publicly.

TouchGraph renders ontologies, but as I will point out in a paper that I am
working on, the computational issues constraining TouchGraph are nicely
resolved by an object model, developed by Don Mitchell, for eventChemistry
and the In-memory data structures of a specific type, developed by Inmentia.
Mitchell's notion of a knowledge operating system (KOS) is as startling as
is VA and event chemistry.

BUT, MORE IMPORTANTLY, our work establishes the empirical observation that

     ***if the graph structure that one is looking at has
     MORE THAN A FEW DOZEN nodes or links, then it is not
     a proper representation of a mental event.  ***

So these very large ontologies (like Cy) are wrong minded in a specific
fashion that can be discussed using cognitive and quantum neuroscience, and
the foundations of logic and category theory.  A retrieval of part of an
ontology (topic map) is likely also wrong minded IF the notion of scope is
not adjusted during the instance of the retrieval, as what occurs during
human thinking.

http://www.bcngroup.org/area3/pprueitt/book.htm

The mental event is formative, from the substructural invariance of
textures, colors and associative mappings across time and experience.  The
formative process, of a mental event, is always constrained by the
affordance of the metabolic processes in the brain.

SO ... small ontologies is what is proper in decision support systems.  What
OSI's work does is to produce high fidelity situated ontology and render
this as a graph in n-space.  What TouchGraph does is render three
dimensional graphs correctly.  OSI has not quite gotten this done.  Our work
needs to be combined.

The generalization of Latent Semantic Indexing, that OSI has produced, will
create formative ontology of a type with higher fidelity than Autonomy DREs
or even well done Semio indexing.

http://www.ontologystream.com/bSLIP/complexCompounds.htm

Moreover there is for the first time, that we know of, the operational
notion of late binding of scope (as in what has not yet occurred in topic
map ontologies) in machine mediated ontology formation and this late binding
establishes both a measurable fidelity when there is an interpretation of
the system of signs (visual semiotics) by a human mind.

Push-pull mechanisms are not the only application of the visual
abstractions, the formative ontology is part of a fast action-perception
cycle that allows the user to look at very large data structures after the
SLIP convolutions have produced (in seconds) the categorical structure that
IS the data source.  (The number 120 IS the number of coins counted in a
pile when there are 120 coins, for example.  The vA works just like counting
numbers in allowing an accounting system for data invariance.)  Rapid and
"correct" visualization is what we are looking at, and which we feel can be
delivered within a few weeks, as a prototype, and a few months, as an
operation vertical technology.  The CDKB is of central importance to some of
us, given the National Security issues.

http://www.bcngroup.org/journal/issues.htm

It may be that OSI needs to license TouchGraph to get a full rendering of
complex compounds, which you are already doing.  Don Mitchell will need an
API and some support for about 2 - 6 weeks depending on the JAVA
architecture interface to a C or C# algorithmic code.  Inmentia's forth
operating system is the best choice for implementing a In-Memory solution
required by the formative ontology.  However, the rapid delivery of a
situated XML stream to the TouchGraph Interface should be a matter of no
more than two weeks (I know the code and can do this accounting...).  This
will prototype something that Dean Rich and I want to show to Richard
Clarke.

I am hoping to be able to meet in New Mexico in the near future, with a
group including my programmer, to make a formal study of what this new
technique means for data and information fusion and movement within
communities.

The vA technology is easy, fast, inexpensive and not entangled with third
party databases.  Furthermore our proposed senseMaking environment is part
of a knowledge management discipline that produces knowledge flow maps and
process models

http://www.ontologystream.com/EI/slipstream_files/frame.htm

We would be grateful for you time and I would appreciate a phone call.

Dr. Paul Prueitt

703-981-2676