Subject: RE: [humanmarkup-comment] Re: [topicmaps-comment] Re: on the Manhattan project for the Knowledge Sciences

I agree with most of what you say, Len, but I do think Paul's
initiative can be a fruitful parallel effort, and since it is aimed
at a five-year time frame, is likely to evolve over time, as these
efforts always do. The characterization of a "Manhattan Project"
style effort, I take to as a measure of itsintended importance and
comprehensiveness, or as comprehensive as it can be, given the
current context. The importance I agree with, and have written about,
and discovered that the media, at least the tech media, is just not
interested, and so I have desisted. (I will confess to not
understanding when people refuse to acknowledge that a group has
stated its intention to simply outright murder them, but I'm not
going to waste my time trying to break through that crust of denial.
I mean no offense to anyone who simply thinks that this is the wrong
audience for such messages, I just disagree. We all die just as dead
as the next innocent.)

In essence, all of the efforts to which this thread has been posted,
contain parts of a solution that will, I think, of necessity be both
less tightly coupled and comprehensive as perhaps Paul thinks
necessary and less loosely coupled than Len thinks necessary.

For my $.02 about the overall context of these efforts, I see
HumanMarkup as the glue that holds together the human-centered
informational matrix within computing, and TopicMaps as the glue that
holds together the overall matrix of informational resources, which
is how I happen to think of Knowledge Management/Theory in practical
terms. Both have clear commercial applications which I assume will
not be noticed until someone starts using them in a successful
manner--something I hope to encourage as well as the not-for-profit
aspects.

Since this thread has concerned an outreach for participation in
Paul's effort initially, I would also like to add that I have been
hoping to develop interest within the HumanMarkup community for a
closer tie to and related effort for the combined area of TopicMaps
and RDF, which in my view is required for utilitarian purposes for
getting the resources HumanMarkup applications, such as you and Paul
and David, and I and others have envisioned, need aligned and quickly
available, in the Semantic Web manner, so to speak. My emphasis is on
the quick and easy aspect for such purposes as validating cultural
practices in terms of tracking how accurate any particular cultural
description is. I'm a lot less interested in developing inferential
systems based on that. Getting the related information together so
that it can be correlated and analyzed, however an application author
cares to analyze it, is what is important to me.

That also means that I will get the kind of access I need to such
resources to develop semi-automatic behavior of human simulations of
characters, individuals, agents from a particular culture or
sub-culture.

Ciao,
Rex