Subject: [topicmaps-comment] Letters on Mark X Series Editing Tools &Experience -- An Invitation and comment

Comments from the Topic map community?

-----Original Message-----
From: paul [mailto:beadmaster@ontologystream.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2002 9:37 AM
To: categoricalAbstraction@yahoogroups.com

(Open communication, please circulate)

Dick Ballard
Knowledge Foundations Inc.

Dick,

The intent of your new letters, to the categoricalAbstraction forum, is perfect, in that the barriers that the community has in expressing intellectual property is quite profound.  Your willingness to actually talk about how the Mark 2 works is important to the community, and unlike - for example - the Cyc ontologies where there is no ability for those who could make an objective evaluation to make this evaluation.  And of course, the topic maps ontologies seems to never really occur in a way that is visible either.  Cognitive graphs (Sowa's work) are the same way, in that after working through the technical literature he has written one is left with a great need to see something work in real settings.

The philosophical grounds for understanding why machine ontologies, up to now, do not lead to real working systems is made from an examination of the illusionary nature of formal systems.

The principles that are being designed into the Mark 3 address the required openness in the formalism and to human interaction in a way that is consistent with what the Russian logicians wanted from QAT and semiotic system for control of (whatever):

http://www.bcngroup.org/area3/pprueitt/kmbook/Chapter9.htm

and to the work of Peter Kugler and others.

As we talk about the Mark 2 and the Mark 3, there will be insights both by yourself and by others.  These insights are the substance of patents if handled in a proper fashion.  As I do  think that the SAIC/OntologyStream proposal to NIMA will be funded, we might wish to put in place a process to allow a restricted community an ability to quickly disclose as patents those insights that none of us have had as yet.  I call this an IP Glass Bead Game.

There are currently four such IP Glass Bead Games being played. I happen to be the Magister Ludi in each of these, except one where Don Mitchell is playing this role.   I suspect that there will be many hundreds of these games being played as we start to encode knowledge technology innovations into a special CoreTalk operating system and memory manager (which can only now be discussed under non-disclosure agreements).   Again this notion, of community building through the capture of IP ownership, is the NIST proposal, but we may find venture capital even if NIST can not quite come to break down this barrier as disclosed in our Three Year Plan:

http://www.ontologystream.com/threeYearPlan/plan.htm

Someone somewhere has got to express the science of knowledge systems in a clear fashion without all of the subterfuge that we find in the XML and ontologies communities.  For example, the only real disclosure of what individual innovators are doing is made into a patent process that has a 3 and sometimes 4 year period where the disclosure is not public - while the PTO makes an evaluation.  This is useless in the context of establishing a new discipline.  How can one innovate on secret "disclosures"?

The PTO is broken in many ways.   Over time, the PTO's behavior may develop to actually be un-Constitutional as well as being simply confused about the nature of information and knowledge technology.

The hard issues in knowledge representation is made only harder in a climate where some workers have only partial glimpses of a complete knowledge system.  It is often the case that these individuals present themselves as having seen the holy grail - because it is required by the management and investment airheads that anyone asking for investment make these types of ridiculous presentations.  This investment behavior badly screws up everything that needs to be done to develop a discipline and a community.  The DoD cottage industry managers finish the "innovation road kill" phenomenon by disallowing any real innovation into the government... as we all see with the fact that at the FBI that the notion of full text retrieval is a dream that might take 2 more years to implement.  Fuzzy search is specifically discounted, and the notion of concept search is treated as an embarrassment.   One has to ask, as some Senators are asking, why the DoD cottage industries are acting as gate keeper to keep normal and mature COTS based capabilities away form the service of our nation.  The Senators should ask the scientists, like me,  who have been consistently blocked from deploying full text and conceptual search technologies for the past decade.

(Perhaps the cottage industries believe that the American People have not yet paid enough for their high priced gate keeping.  I personally think that we have legal and social crimes being committed by those whose integrity we are asked not to challenge, and I think that this will continue until Congressional hearings reveal the complete and total truth about what these IT companies are doing to "earn" a profit by institutionalizing these ugly problems. I specifically have much to tell in regards to my own experience and a set of other case studies of similar experience by other scientists.

http://www.bcngroup.org/area3/manhattan/sindex.htm

A solution to the cyber terrorism problem is available, not only in my work but in the work of a number of under funded and abused start-ups.

http://www.ontologystream.com/SLIP/index1.htm

This solution is similar to the solution to the cyber porn problem, in that the system preserves the problem because it is a good problem "for the system" - in spite of what the problem does to human culture.)

And ultimately we see that the IT investments themselves served the ego of the investors initially and then is spoiled because the IT product is not correct.  So we see that there is no ROI with the current investment behaviors.  The system tolerates this because of the (often undeserved) concentration of wealth that occurs under our form of capitalism.  So the wealthy can afford to make deep and profound mistakes in what is funded. The loser here is the world's social structure.

Out of a Darwinian process of random selection, comes a few survivors.

The advantage that the Mark X series has is the historical presence.  There is a history here.  Another advantage is the information theory that you developed and vetted with important theorists, and for which much more can be said than has been said - or perhaps even imagined even by you or I.

Dick, and the others in this forum.  I wish to address this issue of a IP and proposed scholarship and patent Mark 3 - based knowledge base.

Fist, because it is important to the community; this economic power of a common repository of patent and scholarship disclosures.

Like the moves (or books) where evil is defeated only by turning the evil power into itself; capitalism's reductionist reinforcement has to be used to protect the new knowledge science and technology.  This is the brilliance of the BCNGroup Charter, in that a mechanism is envisioned to take property ownership as gifts form creative people who do not care to own anything, and confers this into a community ownership in the form of Patent and Trademark Office approved patents.  The community ownership is then dispersed, completed, (this is to say purged) from the BCNGroup by a scientific committee making gifts to individual scientist or innovators.  The purging of the money must occur once a year, by Charter.  This is done through prizes and university scholarships.

I have a relationship to M-CAM that allows me to run patents that are submitted for review and potential inclusion through an automatic intellectual property space mapping technology.  This service general cost around $15,000 from M-CAM, but the BCNGroup has the ability to format patents in a way that allows M-CAM to batch process 5 - 9 patents in a cluster for around this price.  As I know the internal architecture, this work is streamlined.

What is then possible is that an innovator or group of innovators, such as a group of people working under your direction on the Mark 3, would be observed by a Magister Ludi

http://www.ontologystream.com/area1/primarybeads/bead1.htm

http://www.ontologystream.com/area1.htm

or group of "advisors".  The patent disclosure is homoeomorphism to the PhD thesis in that:

1) broad competency must be demonstrated
2) an original contribution to human knowledge must be made
2) a literature review must specify the relationship of this original contribution to the elements of the literature review.

Failure to know of someone's work that is similar to one's own is to lose the opportunity for a patent of a PhD.  Many many individuals have forgotten this simple rule.

So the BCNGroup wants to assist in the proper disclosure of IP, first in the form of patents and then later on in the form of virtual PhD processes.

http://www.ontologystream.com/distanceLearning/learningSystem.htm

The Mark 3 is the proper knowledge system to encode the community knowledge of knowledge science and technology.

One is constantly dealing with protecting one's IP in a situation where the immune system of the status quo does not want to allow knowledge science and technology a place to root.  However, the BCNGroup strategy is to use hundreds of commonly owned patents on processes that are valuable when rendered as software, to root knowledge technology in a fertile valley, rather than on some rock ledge.

The time is right for this process to start.

www.bcngroup.org

Please consider joining the BCNGroup membership.