Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] mergeMap Pointing to More Than One topicMapElement

> * W. Eliot Kimber
> |
> | My question: should I report addressing of more than one topicMap
> | element as a reportable topic map error or should the XTM spec be
> | ammended to allow mergeMap to address multiple topicMap elements?

*Lars Marius Garshol
> I think the spec should amended to say that if you refer to a resource
> using a URI with no fragment you are merging in all the topics and
> associations given in that resource, regardless of how many <topicMap>
> elements occur in the document.

But that means you will attach the same <scope> elements to all those characteristics,
right?
It figures the merged map does will not be able to keep track of the various source
<topicMap> elements.
This could raise some issues and has to be well thought about.

> If there is a fragment, however, it should be a reportable error if
> there is no corresponding <topicMap> element. If there is such an
> element, only the content of that element should be merged into the
> master topic map.

Agreed. But maybe it could happen that there are *several* <topicMap> elements in this
fragment? Although allowing several <topicMap> elements as children in a larger DTD seems
quite a weird concept to me ... but weird DTDs do exist :))

Bernard