Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] XTM Import To OpenCyc?

* W. Eliot Kimber

| Has anyone done any work to import topic maps into the OpenCyc
| system? I know that Murray has done work to convert Cyc-based data
| to topic maps (i.e., the Cyc upper ontology constants), but I'm
| wondering if anyone's gone the other way?

Not to my knowledge. I'm not sure you could do it in general, either.
You could equate topics with, uh, "entries" (or whatever they're
called) in CycL, and there's something to map base names and
class-instance/superclass-subclass associations to, but after that I
think it just stops.

You'd need application-specific conventions to progress beyond that,
and once you do I am not sure what you've achieved. Cyc is an
inference system, and I think you have to be *very* careful when
adding new inference rules (and classes in the class hierarchy) in
order to avoid problems for the inferencer.

(I said "I think," because I'm definitely not an expert on this.)