Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] OpenCyc and Topic Maps: Progress Report

Murray Altheim wrote:

> stuff with titles like that!). You've also (along with Steve)
> written a lot about time and scheduling, and I wonder what you
> think of Wolfram's ideas.

From what I've read of Wolfram's book so far, I suspect that I largely
agree with his thinking (for what that's worth, me not being a scientist
by any stretch). His thoughts on time do seem to correspond directly to
the HyTime approach of quantifying time. HyTime does this because it
recognizes that computers are fundamentally finite and quantized.
Whether this is also true of the universe or not I don't know, but it
certainly feels intuitively correct to me, although I also realize that
intuition is often of little use in the realm of quantum physics.

Certainly the idea that the universe is better described algorithmically
rather than mathematically seems appealing.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@isogen.com