Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] OpenCyc and Topic Maps: Progress Report

Martin Bryan wrote:

> Eliot
>
> > The real
> > challenge will be mapping the input topic map's public subjects to
> > existing Cyc constants and figuring out what the mapping conventions
> > should be.
>
> How easy is it to identify Cyc constants as URLs?

Depends on what you want. If we define a URI namespace of "CycKB", then
it's trivial--each constant has a unique name within the KB which could
be used in a URI. This would address Cyc constants in the abstract
without reference to a particular Cyc instance.

If you want to point to constants in a particular Cyc *instance* then
you should be able to use normal URLs where the base is the URL of the
Cyc server--not sure off the top of my head how you'd refer to a
particular constant but there must be a way (if there's not already a
defined URL syntax for it, one could write a little CGI script to
provide a suitable URL syntax).

As far as I know, the only *authoritative* Cyc KB is the one maintained
within Cyccorp, but that is not accessible to the world at large.

Cheers,

E.

--
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@isogen.com