Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] OpenCyc and Topic Maps: Progress Report

[Martin Bryan]

> > Do you have a URI for the DAML version?
>
> http://www.cyc.com/2002/04/08/cyc.daml or, for a cross-linked version,

http://www.daml.org/cgi-bin/hyperdaml?http://www.cyc.com/2002/04/08/cyc.daml
> (warning, this file is huge!)

This is interesting, thanks.  I just downloaded the hyperlinked version
(over 13MB), and immediately found what I think is an anomaly.
"Abbreviation" is said to be

        <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="#ProperNameString"/>

but the comments describing ProperNameString do not agree with those for
Abbreviation.  An Abbreviation is said to be

"A shortened version of a written word or phrase"

wheras a ProperNameString is said to be

"The collection of all proper names, considered as haracter strings.

I don't see how, with these definitions, Abbreviation can be a subClassOf
ProperNameString.

You have to figure on there being some errors in a work this massive, but I
never expected to hit one so soon.  Or can anyone give a rationale as to why
these definitions are compatible?

Cheers,

Tom P