Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] Mapping Topics to Cyc: How To Handle Scope?

[Lars Marius Garshol]

> * Thomas B. Passin
> |
> | I think there is need to have it either way for different purposes
> | (such as queries), but aside from that I have always understood it
> | to be an "OR" situation just as you do.  The XTM spec says the the
> | context is the union of all the individual scopes, so it really has
> | to be a "OR" doesn't it?
>
> XTM doesn't say that. It says very clearly that "This specification
> places no constraints on how applications interpret scope."
>
> If you look at section 2.2.1.6 you'll also see that there is nothing
> at all about this issue there.

If you look at section 3.3.1, you will find

" The <scope> element consists of one or more <topicRef>, <resourceRef>, or
<subjectIndicatorRef> elements. The union of the subjects corresponding to
these elements specifies the context in which the assignment of the topic
characteristic is considered to be valid."

This was the basis for my remark about OR-ing.  How do you interpret this
paragraph, if not describing the OR interpretation?

Cheers,

Tom P