Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] Mapping Topics to Cyc: How To Handle Scope?

* Lars Marius Garshol

| XTM doesn't say that. It says very clearly that "This specification
| places no constraints on how applications interpret scope."
|
| If you look at section 2.2.1.6 you'll also see that there is nothing
| at all about this issue there.

* Thomas B. Passin

| If you look at section 3.3.1, you will find
|
| " The <scope> element consists of one or more <topicRef>,
| <resourceRef>, or <subjectIndicatorRef> elements. The union of the
| subjects corresponding to these elements specifies the context in
| which the assignment of the topic characteristic is considered to be
| valid."
|
| This was the basis for my remark about OR-ing.  How do you interpret
| this paragraph, if not describing the OR interpretation?

Ouch. You are of course right that this does support your
interpretation.

I asked Steve (P.) now, and his recollection was that it should be
OR/any, so presumably the sentence in the terminology section is a
mistake.

So it seems that I am wrong and you and Murray are right. The SAM
issue is still open, however.