tosca-comment message

Subject: Re: [tosca-comment] Feedback on TOSCA 1.3 spec

It's not about typos, it is about reducing implementation complexity and mitigating aboutÂsecurity flaws from malicious input. Unless you have robustÂset conformanceÂtests that tests these edge cases I guarantee you there will be interoperability bugs with unexpected identifiers. If TOSCA used throughout a system, e.g. persisted in a database, input data will likely be handled by code that doesn't expect simple names to have carriage returns and invisible characters etc. (because that is let us politely say, unexpected and unusual) and you open yourself up to things like SQL injection attacks.

To answer your question about XML: Does TOSCA's YAML profile need to be compatible with its XML profile? If it does, how would you represent a TOSCA YAML identifier in a TOSCA XML file? I guess you would write an algorithm to escape the invalid characters? And then if you need to translate the XML back to YAML, you'd write code to recognize the escaped identifiers and unescape them? Just throwing an exampleÂout there to illustrate the complexity burden you are placing on implementations for little gain.Â

But I agree with you about this issue being exhausted at this point if these arguments don't make sense make to you.Â