Subject: FW: TOSCA Review Aids

Hi TOSCA-ers,

As a service, I am forwarding an email (below) from an OASIS member who is experimenting with tools for reviewing OASIS specifications. After consultation with OASIS staff, we have determined that the best way to distribute the below email is without attached zip files. If you are interested in the files, please contact me directly, and I will forward you the complete email.

From: Patrick Durusau [mailto:patrick@durusau.net]
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2013 2:50 PM
To: Lipton, Paul C
Cc: Chet Ensign
Subject: TOSCA Review Aids

Paul,

I am experimenting with some tools that may be helpful in terms of reviewing OASIS specifications.

In particular I have been creating concordances that only reflect keywords (RFC 2119), schema terms (excluding schema artifacts), and of course, full concordances that have all the content from a specification.

The OASIS TAB (Technical Advisory Board) has not had the time to review this work and that is likely to take us beyond the end of the current 60 day review for the current TOSCA specification.

If you have the time/interest I was wondering if the TOSCA TC might want to use such concordances in connection with its review of the current draft?

On keywords, for example, the current spec uses them 295 times. A reader can search the text and try to remember from one to the next how it was used, or if you look at the keyword concordance, there are only 295 lines to review. The impact of the schema concordance should be even more profound as you get every passage about a particular token. The full concordance is useful for finding mis-spellings, inconsistent word usage, etc.

By way of background, I had to convert the specification into a text-only file (removing markup examples) and so the line numbers in the HTML will take you to line numbers in the text window. Which don't correspond to line numbers say in a PDF version.

I am not sure why concordance software doesn't accept markup but I have looked many times and found none that did.

I have attached zip files that when unzipped have top level directories
of: tosca-v1.0-cos01-full, tosca-v1.0-cso01-keywords, and, tosca-v1.0-cos01-schema. Within each of those top directories is a single HTML file that when loaded, displays a web based concordance to the current draft, full, keywords (RFC 2119) and schema terms.

The full software, which can be purchased from http://www.concordancesoftware.co.uk/, has many other capabilities but the web concordance is a way to make static results widely available.

As I said, this is very experimental and any/all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you are having a great week!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau