Subject: RE: Differentiating TOSCA from HEAT

Thanks, Tal

In our previous meeting, you mentioned that you are aware of bad experience and failures using âHEATâ, and for this discussion I donât think it matters if those failures have been due to the HEAT orchestrator, the HOT language for configuring services with HEAT, or with the OpenStack architecture as a whole. After that, you are right that some of my concerns are with the expressiveness of HOT.

I was hoping that you could add for our positioning of TOSCA some more concrete details about the mentioned bad experience? What exactly was the nature and reasons for those failures? Your 4 bullets are too generic, I think. You mention that HEAT is slow and does not scale, and you ascribe that to the OpenStack architecture, and not so much to the HOT language. Is that, in your opinion, the primary reason for the shortcoming of HEAT? If so, to ensure the success of TOSCA we would need to give some attention to scalability in our discussions.

Concerning your views on declarative orchestration, clearly if a single underlying management system, and the components it orchestrates are all fully declarative and insensitive to sequencing, then indeed, the orchestrator itself does not need to be concerned with sequencing. But at the lowest level, technology is inherently sensitive to sequencing.

Example: Installing a VM running a database application. If the management system allows you to specify this declaratively, including the required database configuration, then the orchestrator does not need to be concerned with the sequencing. If another VM needs to run an application that uses the database, and the two VMs are created and started in arbitrary order, then either that application needs to be insensitive to situations where the database is not yet ready or the declarative management system must be aware of the dependency.

The point is that the temporal dependencies do not go away by themselves. The prerequisite is careful design of applications and management systems to fit into such a paradigm, and eventually in some cases, we are basically just pushing the sequencing problem down to lower level orchestrators/management-systems, and if the service topology happens to span more than one management system, then not only must each system be declarative within itself, but all the systems must be designed to interwork according to the âcentrifugeâ model to handle any required sequencing between them.

This is a beautiful vision, but as you also say, we are not there, and so TOSCA will need to be able to support any sequencing requirements that are not yet within the capabilities of the systems being orchestrated.

Frankly, just as you doubt the future of the state-sequencing model, I doubt the scalability and practicality of the centrifuge vision. But we donât need to settle that â I definitely acknowledge the relevance of the centrifuge model for some scenarios and you recognize that state-sequencing will still be required for TOSCA for some time. So no need to argue about that.

Best regards

Peter