trans-ws message

Subject: NAICS - Content domain

Title: Message
Hi all,

This is some info on the NAICS for today's meeting.

Peter

Background
North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) is an industry-wide classification system which has been designed as the index for statistical report of all economic activities of the US, Canada and Mexico. While this classification system is specifically for government regulations and census reports, NAICS claim it can be used in any business to classify customers and enable users to get a clear perspective on target markets.

I did find specific information on their Copyright policy. The NAICS has a search tool http://www.naics.com/search.htm which seems to have a comprehensive database. There does not appear to any way of connecting to this expect by going to their web site. They sell data in various formats such as CD and printed.

Structure & scope
The following summary and hierarchical structure is from the NAICS site. ( see also http://www.naics.com/info.htm)

NAICS Summary

  • Common code between U.S., Mexico, and Canada.
  • Compatible with 2-digit level of ISIC of the United Nations.
  • More industries and distinctions.
  • Emerging high-tech industries and service industries included.
  • New Information Industry.
  • New 6-digit codes instead of 4-digit as in SIC.

The NAICS hierarchical structure is:

XX     Industry Sector (anticipating up to 20 industries)
XXX    Industry Subsector
XXXX   Industry Group
XXXXX  Industry
XXXXXX U.S.(Canadian, or Mexican) National Industry
My gut feeling is that what we may need is a very high level Content domain. Possibly along the lines I mentioned before of only having the following:
Business
Legal
Marketing & Advertising
Financial
Technical & Scientific
Life Science
Government

Peter Reynolds, Software Development Manager
Bowne Global Solutions
3, West Pier Business Campus, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin, Ireland
Tel: +353-1-202-1280
Fax: +353-1- 202-1299
Peter.Reynolds@bowneglobal.ie
Web Site: http//www.bowneglobal.com